Try this gourmet vegie burger on a stick for a twist on a classic favourite.
The ingredient of Veg and haloumi BBQ burger kebabs
- 6 small bake-at-home dinner rolls
- 1 egg, lightly whisked, strained
- 1 1 /2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 Swiss cheese slices, cut into sixths
- 185ml (3/4 cups) water
- 55g (1/4 cup) quinoa, rinsed
- 150g sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 50g feta, crumbled
- 30g (1/3 cup) packaged breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 90g haloumi, cut into 2cm cubes
- 12 pieces red and yellow capsicums
- 2 zucchinis, peeled into ribbons
- 1 small lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- 12 fresh basil leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Veg and haloumi BBQ burger kebabs
- For the burger buns, preheat the oven to 200u00b0C/180u00b0C fan forced. Cut each roll crossways into 3 portions. Holding the 3 portions next to each other, brush with egg. Place next to each other, on a baking tray. Sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until deep golden.
- Use a knife to separate portions of roll that have stuck together.
- Place the centre piece and 1 end piece from each roll upright, next to each other, on the tray. Reserve other ends. Place 1 piece of cheese on the cut side of each piece. Bake for 4 minutes or until just melted.
- Place the water and quinoa in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Cover. Set aside for 5 minutes to steam and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cook sweet potato in boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash. Cool completely.
- Combine the quinoa, sweet potato, feta, breadcrumbs and chopped basil in a bowl. Shape tablespoonfuls into small patties.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook patties for 3 minutes each side until golden. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel. Cool.
- Thread a cheesy end piece of bun onto each skewer. Top each with haloumi, patty, middle piece of bun, another patty, capsicum and zucchini. Top each skewer with reserved end of bun and a lemon wedge.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium. Cook the kebabs for 2-3 minutes each side or until charred slightly. Tuck the fresh basil leaves into the kebabs.
Nutritions of Veg and haloumi BBQ burger kebabscalories: 353.959 calories
calories: 12.2 grams fat
calories: 5.3 grams saturated fat
calories: 46.6 grams carbohydrates
calories: 6.2 grams sugar
calories: 16.2 grams protein
calories: 49 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 690 milligrams sodium