Matt Preston and Michelle Southan put a modern spin on an amazing Greek souvlaki. As Matt says, "This dish is a flight of fancy and our vision of how delicious a crusader knights kebab would be".
The ingredient of Redcurrant lamb souvlaki with super-easy flatbread
- 210g jar redcurrant jelly
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1.5kg boned lamb leg, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/4 red cabbage, very thinly shaved
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Creme fraiche, to serve
- Fresh mint sprigs, to serve
- Lemon cheeks, to serve
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 260g (1 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
The instruction how to make Redcurrant lamb souvlaki with super-easy flatbread
- Combine the redcurrant jelly, orange juice, oil and thyme in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the lamb and toss to combine. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Combine the cabbage and celery in a bowl. Drizzle with the lemon juice. Season.
- Drain the lamb, reserving the marinade. Place marinade in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat and rapidly simmer for 5-8 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, for the flatbread, preheat a barbecue grill plate or chargrill over medium-high heat. Place the flour in a bowl. Add the yoghurt and stir until just combined. Turn onto a well-floured surface and knead until well combined. Divide the dough into 6 portions. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll out 1 portion to an 18cm disc. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until charred. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Thread the lamb onto 12 metal or pre-soaked bamboo skewers. Cook on the grill, turning and basting with the glaze, for 8-10 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking and charred slightly. Serve the skewers with the bread, slaw, creme fraiche, mint sprigs and lemon.
Nutritions of Redcurrant lamb souvlaki with super-easy flatbreadcalories: 665.376 calories
calories: 18 grams fat
calories: 7.5 grams saturated fat
calories: 65.1 grams carbohydrates
calories: 3.7 grams sugar
calories: 58.4 grams protein
calories: 155 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 196 milligrams sodium