Follow these step-by-step instructions to achieve carrot cake perfection.
The ingredient of Carrot cake with butterscotch pecans
- 200ml vegetable oil, plus extra, to brush
- 4 (360g) carrots
- 100g (2/3cup)raisins
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 40g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
- 275g (1 1/4 cups firmly packed) brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 440g can crushed pineapple in natural juices, well drained (see note)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) pouring cream
- 20g unsalted butter
- 40g (1/3 cup) pecans
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 60g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 80g (1/2 cup) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
The instruction how to make Carrot cake with butterscotch pecans
- To line the cake pan: Preheat oven to 180C. Place base of cake pan on a piece of baking paper. Using a pen, trace around outside, then cut out paper round. Assemble cake pan, then lightly brush base and side with oil. Place paper round in base.
- To prepare carrots and raisins: Using the large holes on a box grater, grate carrots. Measure out 360g (2 1/2 cups) grated carrot and place in a bowl. Roughly chop raisins.
- To make the cake batter: Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Stir in coconut and 220g (1 cup firmly packed) brown sugar. Make a well in the centre. Crack eggs into a jug, add vanilla and oil, then, using a fork, lightly beat to combine. Pour into flour mixture and stir until almost combined. Stir in carrots, raisins and pineapple. Spoon batter into prepared pan and cook for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then release from pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make cream cheese icing: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Add sugar and lemon zest, then beat for 3 minutes or until mixture is light and fluffy.
- To make butterscotch pecans: Combine cream, butter and remaining 55g (1/4 cup firmly packed) brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add pecans and stir to coat in caramel. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- To decorate cake: Place cake on a platter. Using a spatula, spread cream cheese icing over top of cake. Decorate with butterscotch pecans to serve.
Nutritions of Carrot cake with butterscotch pecanscalories: