Forget the teddy bears picnic, make a splash with this spectacular pool party cake - the kids will be sure of a big surprise!.
The ingredient of Pool party cake
- 3 x 440g packets golden buttercake cake mix (with icing sachets)
- 2 x 85g packets berry blue jelly crystals
- 9 honey-flavoured Tiny Teddy biscuits
- 250g packet Marie biscuits
- Green gel food colouring
- 2 ice-cream wafers
- 5 x 25cm blue sour straws
- 10 Pep O Mint Life Savers
- 1 white marshmallow
- 1 white Honey Jumble biscuit
- 2 rainbow sour straps
- 1 little Hundreds & Thousands biscuit
- 1/3 strawberry sour straw, halved lengthways
- 2 sour ring lollies
- 1 boiled lolly
- 375g butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups icing sugar mixture, plus contents of icing sachets, sifted (see Emmau2019s tips)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Royal blue gel food colouring
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Red, green and yellow gel food colourings
The instruction how to make Pool party cake
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C/160u00b0C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 25cm round cake pan. Line the base and side of pan with 2 layers of baking paper.
- Make cakes following packet directions. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Level top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn, top-side up, onto a baking paper-lined wire rack. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make jelly following packet directions. Pour into a large, shallow dish. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until jelly is thick and beginning to set.
- Make Buttercream: Using an electric mixer, beat butter for 8 to 10 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until well combined. Add milk. Beat until combined. Spoon 2/3 of buttercream into a bowl. Using food colouring, tint dark blue. Tint remaining buttercream light blue.
- Make Royal Icing: Whisk egg white in a bowl until foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until smooth and combined. Stir in juice. Divide icing among 4 bowls. Using food colourings, tint 1 portion red, 1 portion green and 1 portion yellow. Leave remaining portion plain. Spoon portions into separate snap-lock bags. Snip off one corner of each bag. Using picture as a guide, pipe icing onto Tiny Teddy biscuits to decorate. Set aside for 30 minutes or until icing sets.
- Level top of cake. Place cake, cut-side down, on round cake board. Using an 18cm round plate or cake pan as a guide, cut a 3cm-deep circle into top of cake to form pool. Discard circle. Spread light blue buttercream over base and side of hole to coat. Spread top edge of cake with light blue buttercream. Spread side of cake with dark blue buttercream. Spoon jelly into hole in cake. Refrigerate cake until jelly sets.
- Place cake and round board onto square cake board. Process Marie biscuits in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Add green food gel. Process until crumbs are green. Sprinkle around cake to form grass. Cut wafers into six 3cm squares. Position next to pool as stepping stones. 8 Cut 2 blue sour straws into five 7.5cm pieces. Cut in half lengthways to form 10 pieces. Using picture as a guide, place straws evenly around outside of cake. Tie Life Savers to string at even intervals. Hang between sour straws and lightly press onto cake. Cut remaining blue sour straws into two 11.5cm pieces and five 3cm pieces. Using a little plain icing, attach 3cm pieces to 11.5cm pieces to form a ladder. Stand for 5 minutes or until set. Using picture as a guide, place marshmallow on cake. Attach Honey Jumble biscuit to marshmallow to form a diving board. Hold to secure. Position ladder against cake.
- Cut rainbow sour straps into four 4.5cm pieces to form towels. Using a sharp knife, cut short ends of each piece to form a fringe. Position towels around pool. Position Hundreds & Thousands biscuit in pool as a li-lo. Position strawberry sour straw pieces in pool as pool noodles. Position sour ring lollies in pool as pool floaties. Position boiled sweet in pool as a beach ball. Using a little plain icing, position Tiny Teddy biscuits in and around pool. Position umbrellas around pool. Serve.
Nutritions of Pool party cakecalories: